Thursday, August 3, 2017

After several hours of cutting

Off and on yesterday I cut the squares for the rag quilts for the girls. I then cut the batting which I hate doing. Ended up cutting by scissors. I started stitching the squares together. 

This is a quilt as you go project. I first want to stitch all the sandwiched squares and if I need more flannel I can add before I start stitching them into a quilt. I need to make three of them. 

I really don't know how big I will make them yet. See how far this huge stack of squares will take me. 

I have collected flannel pieces for about 8 years. Recently I have added a couple pieces and I can get some more if I need it. This should go pretty well. 

I have found to help hold it together better to use a binding around the edge of the quilt as you would a regular quilt you make. I think it holds it's shape better. Also the stitching between the prequilted squares I am going to use a deco stitch or a stretch stitch that goes forwards and backwards to make the seams stronger. 

I made 11 of these several years ago and the stitching between the squares kept coming out. Kids pulling on them. So this will secure the blocks better also. Simple little changes can make a world of differences. 

Up early and going in to work on these blocks off and on today. Chris 

1 comment:

Julierose said...

Good job getting all that cutting done--it is tedious for sure...this will be lovely hugs, Julierose