Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ok Questions today

When sewing small pieces together whether it be HST or 9 patches do you find that they stretch in the handling?? I read someplace, sorry can't give the quilter credit, that spray starching small pieces to make them firmer was a better option. I had some fat quartes that came out of the dryer very wrinkled and I sprayed them with starch to press them. In making the 9 patches for this dark quilt I used some of the fat quarters and they stayed more true to shape in the handling and when I did press the seams they were a more perfect shape than unstarched pieces. So my reading and doing this by chance was a good thing for me. Have any of you tried this or heard of it before? Ok figured out who said it. It was Sally Collins the Miniature quilter. She works with really tiny pieces with her miniature quilts. The other question is do you feel like there are so many things you want to do with quilting and that time is running out to get things done? I am a type A person and I have so many obstacles in my way to stay on track. I guess I need to chill and do the most important things I want to and fill in with the rest as I have time. This is my theroy that I can only do what I can if the rest doesn't get done someone else will see to it. Good, bad or indifferent! Have a great day. Chris

1 comment:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I am a firm believer in using starch. I use a pressing spray recipe I found on line. It's like Mary Ellen's Best Press spray...

2 cups distilled Water
2 oz cheap Vodka (needed to make the oil mix in. Rubbing alcohol can not be used. It' a different type of alcohol)
6-12 drops of 100% pure essential oil (Choice of different scents)
1/3 cup of liquid Starch
Shake well before each use.

If you want it to be unscented, leave out the essential oil and vodka.