Monday, April 28, 2014

Question

I have this quilt which I finished. My Grandmother made these blocks by hand in the 50's. I remember going with my Grandparents to a nearby town where there was a garment factory. They made ladies dresses in the late 50's. She came out with this box that had cutoff scraps from the dresses. This is what she made out of it. 

I outlined stitched and use a 100% cotton batting in it like she would have used. It has been washed a few times and as you can see the crinkled look is starting.  

Another of the wild prints that were used in the 50's. Some of the blocks were exactly the same size, but I tried not to cut off points when making this. Not perfect, but it is finished.

I added the solid yellow to sash it to complete the quilt, but the solids she bought to go with the wild prints of that time. Does anyone know what the pattern is?

3 comments:

Sewing Junkie said...

There are two names that I have heard so far. Periwinkle and Hummingbird , but the secondary pieced part isn't a usual part of the pattern. Must have been improvised.

Pam said...

Yep! I just bought a set of acrylic templates for this pattern - Periwinkle :) I'm planning to hand-piece an entire quilt top!

Katie M. said...

What a special quilt!