Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Pinning the top

Today it is raining and gloomy. Not nice to be outside. I dug in my closet and found a piece of white 110inch wide fabric and I pressed it for the back of this quilt. I have it half pin basted. I decided after being very disappointed that I would machine quilt it. The blocks aren't as true as I would like them to be. The center of the stars is appliqued and it isn't as flat a seam as I need to make it look good when hand quilted. I think stitching in the ditch is my only choice. If I echo quilt or try a design I will have puckers. This was hand pieced 50 some years ago. The iron couldn't even flatten it. Also I was afraid of distorting more if I pressed it to much. All I can say is it will be done and on a bed. The room won't get a lot of use so it will work. This is the only bad thing about old quilt blocks they aren't always as true as we do now. If you look at old quilts the edges are not even and they twist some. They didn't have the rulers we had or the cutting tools we have. They used pins and scissors for their pieces and a 1/16 of an inch wasn't much ,but on the total size it added up. All I can do is the best I can do and hope it looks like something when done. Chris

No comments: