Monday, September 24, 2012

REaping the Harvest

Last night it frosted pretty hard so we had gone out and picked veggies before the frost. Today I am freezing the pickings. These are sweet peppers. I cut the tops off and hull the seeds and veins out of them. Wash and dry and pack in freezer bags. I use them all Winter long.
I went to the local Aldi Store and found cauliflower on sale for 99 cents the other day and bought two of them I can't grow it for that price. I cleaned it up and any dark spots were cut off.
I make individual bags enough for a meal and get them ready for freezing.I cut them up into bite sized pieces and blanch them in boiling water. Bring water to a boiled and drop the veggies into it and bring it back up to a full boil for 3 minutes. Drain and shock it in cool water. Cool and pack into bags.
I make the amount we would eat per meal. If I have company I get out more than one bag. Let it cool before closing to not cause ice crystals from forming. 
I then place the smaller bags into a larger gallon sized bag to pull out only what I nee. Save Save SAve! Chris

No comments: