Thursday, July 5, 2012

Some work here today

This is the dressing table or vanity we picked up today. Jeff is working on getting it cleaned up to varnish. This is the mirror. For as old as it is it is in really good shape. I think it is older than me and we all know how I look. OLD!

He laid it on it's back and started in with the denatured alcohol and it is amazing what it does with the old varnishes. If you try it make sure you were strong solution gloves with it because it can ruin your hands.



It takes out the bad scratches and cleans all the old dirt and cleaning products off of the finish. Then you can re varnish.





I decided I like the looks of the paper piecing, but it looked naked. So I made centers and they look more like flowers now.







Had to have a black center for this one. The gold on the gold didn't make it.









They look more finished now. I just need to decide on the background and I may use two different ones to make them stand out.











This is a very good tool. It was a circle template and it comes from a stationary supply store. I think for less than $5. It has been well worth the price. Perfect circles for applique. They range in size from 1/8 inch to a full 1 inch size. Stay Cool. Chris













No comments: