Well my husband has been busy. We bought this piece at a rummage sale last year. It is a cast iron grate that was in a floor well in front a professional building door as a shoe grate. It has feet on the back side so that dirt and slush would fall through the holes so it wouldn't get tracked in a polished floors.
He took it out the other day and painted it with a Rustoleum product called hammered copper. It looks like hammered metal in copper colored. Then he stained it to make it look more antiqued.
We decided today it needed to be hung someplace that it wouldn't get knocked off. It weighs about 17.5 lbs so you wouldn't want it to fall on your head or shoulder. We had to go to the hardware store to get long enough screws to make sure it was secure on the wall.
This is what I have been busy doing. I got all the blocks sewn together in rows and started getting it shaped up to make the long strips to sew the quilt together. Remember this is quilting as I go. The black strips are faced with batting and you top stitch them onto the top and then all the quilting is done.
This one is just pinned in place. I need to wind bobbins to get this one completely sewn. I am using a blanket stitch to sew down this strip and batting so it is secure and not shifting. The darker strips make the colors in the crazy/crumb blocks stand out.
To bind the edges I plan on sewing black strips and bringing the black fabric to the front to finish the edges off with a self binding. This is coming together better than I had hoped for and other than the black fabric everything else was scraps or thrift/rummage sale fabric. Batting was from a huge bag of scraps my Mother had. I have pieced this batting together to make this work also.
If there is a will there is a way and I am not wasting a single scrap, but making something interesting to look at. Plus a warm quilt to sleep under.
Repurpose and recycle is my Motto. Now I got to figure out something for supper. YUK! Chris