Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Nothing pretty going on here

Laundry, dishes and ugly things like that are my list today. Laundry is washed and dried, but needs folding. Then I need to get supper fixed. The meat is out thawing out now.

This morning early I was doing some machine stitching. I got some more strip piecing on my border pieces done. Had to stop and clean my machine. Then I realized I was using thread that I need to finish quilting the string quilt with. I need to change needles and change thread. I have some other similar colored thread for piecing which will be fine.

I watched some videos on You Tube in the last couple weeks on sewing techniques for quilting and I'm confused. I guess believe what you want to or what works for you. The subject was domestic machine quilting and the topic was machine sewing needles. One said do not use Universal needles and the other said to use them.

I worked for The Singer Company many years ago and they had two types of needles. A regular sharp needle for woven fabrics in different weights to work from organza to denim. Then they had what they called a Ball point needle. It worked for single and double knit fabrics. It would separate the yarns in the knit and not break them as a sharper needle would.

Then the language changed to universal needles with the Germany made needles that I don't think are made in Germany any more.  So many things that were made in Germany or England are now made in China. Needless to say do I need to make anymore of a statement on that.

Many of the older Singer Vintage machines that many are buying for their piecing require a Singer Needle.The shaft on the needle is smaller and makes a more perfect stitch. Some try to use the Universal needles and they get skipped stitches. It isn't as long as the Singer needle also.

The needle that was recommended for the machine is the one you should use. The type of fabric you are sewing on should have the right needle to preform it's duties correctly also. Go back and look at your machine manual or look it up on line and see what type of needle you should be using for the type of machine you have.

Another issue is the machine oil you use. Should be an oil for sewing machines and not a 3-in-1 oil. That is not the same. Just like your car you need certain weight oil to use in your car and the right oil for your sewing machine. Also oil has a shelf life. Did you know that? If it turns yellow and not clear it is old and can cause gummy parts in the machine. It isn't that expensive and if you have a lot of oil in your container you haven't oiled enough. My theory is if you have yellow oil give it to your husband to oil hinges. Also if you sew a lot if you haven't used it up before it turns yellow you are neglecting your machine.

On to old vintage sewing machines. Make sure when you purchase one you check your electrical cords. If they are covered in fabric like covering they need replacing. Make sure you have a sewing machine repair person that can replace old cords. You don't want a fire. Same way if you have an old iron or waffle iron. It isn't worth the risks.

If you can stitch on a machine before you buy at a garage sale do it. There are parts on line on eBay and other sites. I know I bought a vintage machine and only paid $13 for it and I made over $5000 with the machine making doll clothes. They are tanks and they are work horses if you find a good one. Many times they haven't been used all that much other than for mending. Every household had a machine for simple rips and tears.

I have a Vintage Pfaff that I need to do more piecing on and save my other machine. I might try and see if I can fit the machine in my desk. It uses the same size bobbins as the present machine. The only thing different it isn't a top loading bobbin it is down below, but as the desk sets
I can get to it easy.

Do you use a vintage machine? Vintage meaning 20's-70's. Or a treadle machine? I want a new machine, but mine work fine for now. Keep on Keeping on and sew to  your hearts content. Chris

No comments: