Sunday, January 8, 2012

Over my head

I am a piecer and an appliquer, but not a miniature piecer. Hettie from http://stitchingmatters.blogspot.com/ tried talking me into the Building Houses from Scraps 2012 Challenge. I had thought about it. You can see the blog it came from here. http://www.buildinghousesfromscraps.blogspot.com/ They are 3 inches finished. OMG. I have a migraine and I tried two methods and I think I will pass on this project. Sorry Hettie. The first one was hand pieced and I didn't like the Y-seam.




It doesn't matter how I stitched it and it was three times it wouldn't lay flat from the blogs pattern. I am sure it is me. The templates I cut out I didn't add the 1/4 inch seam I tried cutting it onto the pieces as I cut them out. Not good!



Hettie and I emailed. She went onto her EQ7 and printed out a pattern with templates with the 1/4 inch seam added. So nice of her.



I then thought ok 1/4 inch seams I can machine piece this. Well the Y-seam was still there. Yuk!!!!!!







At the roof line I cut the Y-seam out and added a seam with the background fabric and tried adding it. Well the seam first looked great but the chimney piece is not sewn in the right spot. It over shoots the roof line. Not Good!!


I guess I wasn't cut out to do anything smaller than 4 1/2 inches. Then it didn't have as many pieces. I am not a paper piecer. I get crazy when it doesn't look right. So I tried. Not my cup of tea. Hope those of you that are involved have a great time doing the challenge. It looks like it could use up scraps and small pieces. Hettie, If you do try this you are a better quilter than I am hands down on that one. Chris









1 comment:

Hettie Pringle /Stitchingmatters said...

Ha-ha Chris

I too struggled with this last night and wondered how I, the instigator, would tell you I don't think this is me - the piecing by hand. There was just no way that I could get the sky and chimneys to fit the roof and I marked the ¼ inch line!!

Then I realized how much "one house a day" added up to. Way too much work, so we're equal - nobody better than the other!!