Monday, November 4, 2013

Did a lot of sewing yesterday

The sewing I did was a lot of the same. I'm sure you are tired of my string quilt. Therefore no pictures today. Not sure that I am going to spend as much time at the machine today. Maybe will get out and do some grocery shopping.

I need to find some white fabric to do borders and maybe will look for that also.

Ever have one of those days when no matter what you do you never get any where. I had to stop and rip stitches out because I had a tuck. Then I was frustrated so walked away for a bit. Went back a couple times until I ran out of bobbins. I need to stop and wind more today. Clean the machine and I'm sure need to change the needle.

I used a muslin grade sheet on the back and sheets are very densely woven and can dull a needle quickly.  With all the seams and using a sheet I used a denim needle. It works, but not sure I will do that again. No skipping, but lots of stitch quality over seams. I think to much bulk.

I know others use sheets all the time and they like the results. I guess my preference is something lighter weight. I am finishing it, but not on my list to do again. Sorry to those that use them.

I need to get cleaning and garment sewing done for me. I can't find anything to fit right so will have to start sewing again. I have a long waist and I hate when you raise your arms your back shows. Plus my arms are longer also. My arms and wrists are not large, but I can put both arms in one sleeve on the ready made and then on top of it they still are not long enough. Just because you are fat one place it doesn't mean you are fat all over. Chris 

2 comments:

Katie M. said...

I like your new blog look! I love the fall leaves background... Sheets aren't for everyone. I'm fortunate to have the longarm quilter and don't remember using sheets when I was using the domestic machine for quilting....

Teresa Rawson said...

I hand quilted a finished embroidered top for someone many years ago...she brought me a sheet for the backing. I was absolutely miserable quilting that sucker, the sheet was so tightly woven. I imagine it would be rough on machine needles! I really like your string quilt! I love string-scrappy, but really prefer some consistent setting elements, like you did with the nice sashing. It contains the delightful playfulness of the strippy blocks...so beautiful! I'm with you on the clothing issue...I pulled out the "big girl" winter clothes yesterday...I was hoping to pull them out and burn them, but will need to wear them, at least for part of the winter...sigh. I raked much of the day when I needed to be sewing, but at least I got a little exercise. One day at a time...