Saturday, February 13, 2016

Shifting piles

My table that is in front of the window was piled 18 inches high with fabric.Some was backing fabric and some is smaller pieces that need to be cut up into strips and pieces. I sorted through it all.

I started a pile for the next cutting session. I placed the yardages onto a shelf for backings or borders. I also decided I wanted to get the old machine set up. My Singer I have in the older cabinet does not wind bobbins anymore. The bobbins for the Montgomery Ward and the Singer use the same bobbins. I use the Montgomery Ward for piecing. So I like to have it around for nonsense sewing. It hums along and has a really good stitch plus all the bobbins can be wound on this machine.

The Pfaff I got from my Mother has been breaking threads. It did it for her also. I was planning on taking it to the local Pfaff dealer who has a repairman, but I overheard her saying a couple months ago that he was ill. I called the other day to see if he was working and he must really be ill because he is in Chicago at a big hospital.

The closest dealer is in Rockford which is about 50 miles away and that means a trip and then go back for it later. It has been to three different dealers for repair and they can't seem to find out what is wrong. No matter what kind of thread you use it breaks the top thread. Sews for quite a while and then it breaks.  So toying with not getting it fixed now and just using what I have.

I thought about trading it in, but then it would take another $3500 plus the trade in. Not for the amount of sewing I do. If I did wedding work I wouldn't hesitate, but this type of sewing I am fine with using the dumpster machine That is pictured above. Yes you read that right. My husband found this in the dumpster after a big rummage sale weekend we had here in the community we live in.

It didn't have the motor/light block for the controller, but I had one from another old machine. So some clean up and a new belt and it stitches like a dream.

In the next couple months I need to get some of this stuff finished up. I am getting new flooring in the sewing room. I will be getting rid of this ugly old carpet. I have some new vinyl plank flooring going to be installed. I can't wait. Then I can clean the floor easier and also the desk chair which is on rollers will move easier.

Hope everyone has a nice Valentine's Day. Chris

4 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Happy Birthday tomorrow. Do something fun!

sewyouquilt2 said...

Happy birthday and Happy Valentines Day!

Julierose said...

Oh no! My older Pfaff--Variamatic did the same thing; actually i had it repaired (??) twice and it still only works for a bit and then starts the same thing. I ended up retiring it and buying a new Viking....good luck hugs, Julierose Happy Birthday & Valentine's Day to you.....

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Happy birthday to you!!!

That machine is a great find! You will love your new floor. How fun!