Monday, February 17, 2014

Some progress is happening

My sewing is happening, but I've been running on fumes. Not a lot of sleep for several days. Last night I got 6 hours which is better than 3-4 hours.

This is an ender and leaders project. Stitching a few each day. The good thing about it is they make 16X16 inch blocks when completed. I am not rushing to get it done, but as it progresses into a few more blocks it is getting more attractive to me. I can see this with a light weight batt and a light colored backing on it for a Summer weight quilt. Reminds me of an English Flower Garden with wandering paths.

This looks so traditional a quilt pattern. Many times they were finished without borders. All the pieces leftover from making clothes for the family. Then it was just a quilt to keep the beds covered. To me a utility quilt means lots of work and yet it was busy work between cooking and cleaning.

Traditional patterns took some thinking to produce. Many were geometric designs, but they didn't have 3 or 5 fabrics to make a whole quilt. They had pieces. Small pieces of their lives.

Do you remember a quilt on your bed or your grandmother's bed with pieces of their lives all sewn together for a collage of their history? I do and wish they had survived, but sadly they didn't.

More snow, sleet and rain today. As little as 5 inches and as much as 7 inches. I know everyone has cabin fever and yet we have no control over Mother Nature. Stay safe and warm. Keep sewing. Chris  

3 comments:

Katie M. said...

I really like that block. As for a light weight batt, have you ever used flannel as a batt? I love it for baby quilts.
No quilts on our beds as a kid. My grandmother didn't sew and neither did my mom.... I'm the first sewist in the family and I didn't start until I was in my 20's.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I love it, Chris!

I am so sick of snow....It's coming down hard here.

suzanne, dutchess county NY said...

I really like that big block. It sets up so nice with those " pathways". We will get your snow late tonight into tomorrow. Up to 6 inches they say. Ugh!