Saturday, June 6, 2015

Fabric you don't know how to use.

Have you ever had fabric you just didn't know what to do with it? Well this is one of them. The 90's had large prints and I had almost 2 yards of this given to me. Some of you maybe bought yours and it is still in your stash. Well I am going to show you how I use mine up.

Some one said a while back that if you don't like it anymore cut it up until you can't tell what it was. I finally used up the last of this fabric tonight. I have cut it into strips and squares as small as 1 inch clear up to 5 3/8 inch squares I am going to make 1/4 square triangles out of. The smaller you cut it the better it looks and the easier it is to incorporate into a block.

With this in mind  relook at those questionable pieces before you purge them. When smaller do they appear a different color? Do they work as small borders or would they make binding that blends well with a quilt you are having trouble figuring out what to use. Larger printed fabric cut on the bias for binding can appear really different. 

I look at it this way I paid for it so I am going to use it. In this case it was gifted to me because they didn't know how to use it. So the challenge for me was to get it used up and make room for something I like better. 

I have had odds and ends or small pieces left over and decided tonight I need to get this cut and out of here. It feels good to get it all used unless it was your favorite fabric. As a scrap quilter you need lots of variety to make it all work and the small stuff needs to be cut and used. 

I have a few pieces that I am sure are in almost every quilt I have made. I need some closure on some of this so I can move on to other fabrics. My Mother has a whole closet full of fabric and I can always get something new by shopping her stash. Hope this gives you a different way to use up the difficult fabric you have. Chris 

No comments: