Almost a year ago I made these crumb/crazy blocks. I quilted each one with the deco stitches on my machine. Batting and backing in place when quilted.
I trimmed the backing to a even width and trimmed back all the batting to the blocks size. I then stitched the back pieces together with 1/4 inch seams. You can see the black strips they are the sashing for this quilt. I added those to the open areas between the blocks where the 1/4 inch seams were.
I cut a 3 inch strip and pressed the 1/4 inch seam allowance and then added a 2 1/2 inch strip of batting to the back of the pressed sashing strip. I just pinned it.
I have one side sewn down and working on pinning the other edge down. Secure the batting within the folded 1/4 inch seam and then stitch.
It is top stitched into place with a blanket stitch. This also catches the batting from shifting in wear and washing.
All of the blocks are connected and the sashing is top stitched into place. I then went down the center of the sashing both ways with a serpentine stitch to add more support for the batting from shifting in the sashing pieces.
Now I have to decide if I am adding outside sashing or just binding. I think I will have to add outside sashing but just half the width like it would be for just one block. Then bind it as usual. So this afternoon it will get finished with the machine stitching and I maybe will blanket stitch the binding on also.
It is about 60X60 inches. It will be a couch quilt. I used scraps sewn together to make the blocks. Also I used waste batting from cut offs when doing larger quilts. The only thing I paid for was the thread which a lot was used in this and the sashing black and white polka dot. The backing was even given to me.
Allergy season is here and everyone is miserable. I didn't sleep well last because of it. We got up and there was frost on the roofs this morning. Not so much on the grass. So still need the furnace for part of the day. Chris