Thursday, October 15, 2009

Embroidery Pillow Tut

Here is the top with the borders on it and the pieced border being the last one.
I made the ruffle with the ruffler. It gathers it to the length you need.

The ruffle has been sewn onto the top at the seam edge.


Here you can see it being sewn at the 1/4 in. seam allowance.



Then the back is sandwiched on wrong sides together and the ruffle to the inside of the sandwich. 1/4 in. seam allowance is made and a slight curve taken at the corners. Makes it easier to turn the bulk when you turn it right sides out. Remember to leave and opening big enough for your hand so you can stuff it after turning it.




Here is the stuffed and finished pillow. Hopefully my Grandaughter likes the finished pillow for her room. This method can be used on regular pieced tops also and if you own a ruffler get to know it you will use it a lot.





Here we go a how to. I like a pillow with a ruffle and I have an attachment for my machine which is a generic piece will fit most sewing machines on the market. I think they cost about $20-24. I embroidered the pillow top and then pieced squares of 30's prints around it like you would if you were putting pieced borders on a quilt top. The ruffler can make a double folded ruffle like I have made or a single ruffle with a hemmed edge. The width of the ruffle is your choice. I use this a lot and also the next project with the ruffler is the sides to a dust ruffle for my queen size bed. Caution No.1 you will get hooked on using it. Will work wonders for apron ruffles if you are into them and also for little girls dresses and ruffled curtains. Caution No.2 this one is important make sure the screw is tight on your needle and on the post where the ruffler is attached to your machine. This tool will be your best friend. If you have a lot of little girls in your life. Chris

No comments: