Sunday, October 27, 2013

Destined to the landfil or a scrap quilt?????

As you know I feel challenged to use up scraps and many small pieces of fabric. I took my string quilt top to my Mother's and she said to me after she told me she really likes the top that think about how much I have kept out of the landfill. So on my way home I thought about it.

My Mother now thinks twice about throwing small pieces out. I have rescued many bags of scraps out of her trash bins. She now asks before she throws anything away.

I have been reading Bonnie Hunter's blog for awhile now and fascinated by her energy and organization skills when it comes to cutting and sewing. Truly many others have great skills to storage and cutting techniques. I start out motivated then get the urge to stitch and never get back to the cutting and sorting.

The amount of fabric that one feels they need to but interests me also. Fat quarters, 1/4 yard, 1/2 yard, and full yard pieces run on the list of the most used. `I look at the facts. 1 yard will get you farther if you really like it, but how many scrap quilts are going to have the same fabric in them.

Other than sashing or backing fabric I haven't bought a 1/4 yard piece in two years. I have tried to slice and dice my piles to make variety and not use to many of the same fabrics in the different quilts that I make close in time.

Hopefully you have a method that keeps you inspired to keep on sewing. Chris  

3 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I used to buy larger pieces of fabric, but now I stick to fat quarters. They really do go a long, long way. I will buy yardage if it's a great deal for backings or if I really, really love it, and don't mind seeing it in several quilts.

You have been an inspiration to me. =)

sewyouquilt2 said...

same here. I used to buy 5 yards if I liked it. that takes a LONG time to use it unless you use on the back. I now get fat quarters if I REALLY HAVE TO HAVE IT.
but I enjoy playing with my "old friends" in the fabric piles. I am making pillowcases to use some yardage up. they are pretty. sent two to nursing home for mother in law. she LOVES them. says they brighten her day..........hmmmm.... wonder how many residents they have? LOL

Katie M. said...

Before I started quilting, I sewed garments and my rule of thumb was a minimum of 3 yards. When I started quilting, the friend who got me 'into' it asked why so much. I calmly said, "to make sure I have enough". She laughed at me then gave me a few simple explanations... Now I have to really love the fabric to buy more than a yard...