Sunday, January 18, 2015

Better ways to do things.

Been sitting here trying to determine which is the batter way to applique. As I do it now I use freezer paper on the back and glue baste the seam allowance to the freezer paper. Stitch in place then cut the backing off and wash and remove the paper. Did that recently and I had bleeding problems even though fabric had been pre-treated. Some fabric will release colors forever.

Also the method of stitching I do it ll by hand. Want to advance to machine stitching at some point. Perfecting that will be a challenge for me.

Do you have better methods to do you stitching? Chris

1 comment:

Katie M. said...

on the rare occasion that I do applique, I use clear thread in my machine and a very narrow zig zag stitch. Also, what I applique is usually larger pieces and I use a very light weight interfacing. I lay the applique piece on top of that (right side down) stitch around the applique where it would have been folded, then make a small slit in the interfacing and turn the piece inside out and press. I need to say here, too, that because of the thread adding 'bulk' I do use a very fine thread when doing applique this way...