Sunday, July 20, 2014

Opinions on ownership of quilt pattern or block pattern

I have read many horror stories of nasty comments and battles over a block or quilt pattern. I just ran across an article that was dated in 2007, but still a current subject.

I read several blogs, magazines and websites of quilters just to let you know some are generous and others just aren't. I have noticed over the Summer issues of three different magazines that they each had a different version of the same block all color differences or border differences  with all of them having different name and yet they were designed on EQ7 by different quilters.

I have read recently that in one site it mentioned that the block was actually had a different name, but as this person teaches this block she uses her block name. Should credit be given to the original designer if known?
The next issue is who designed the square, triangle, rectangle and circle? Have we taken this a little far?

My question is why would you pay for a pattern or a class if the person didn't give you the right name, but instead their name? Is this correct or not? Would copyright laws work here? I don't think they would, but I'm not a hungry lawyer either.

Where do the lines cross and get tangled? Makes you wonder if you sell something to a friend are you breaking the law. If you buy a pattern or a magazine with a pattern in it should you make it can you enter it in a juried show? Some copy companies meaning office supply stores will not copy patterns if printed in magazines or patterns. When and where does it stop?

Furthermore how many squares, triangles, rectangles and circles are we using that we are not giving credit for them? Am I just being ridiculous or does this make sense? I do not own an EQ7 or any other computer generated program and not sure IF I really want one.

Giving credit on a label or in the text of a pattern is done, but maybe not enough. On EQ7 who do you give credit for that. I have read an article where two women sued each other over a pattern they claimed they designed with EQ7 and who owned the copyrights to it. Graph paper and pencil do they have copyright laws protecting them. People we are suppose to be adults. If you have re-named a block someone else designed are you breaking the law also.

Stepping down now. I think this is causing many to question why we make quilts. Are we here to out-do the next quilter or for the enjoyment of the process.  I'm not naming names, but some of you would be shocked at who changes names on blocks. Chris  

2 comments:

Katie M. said...

There have also been law suits because credit was not given to a fabric designer..... Yes, a bit ridiculous in my opinion. If I were to make a quilt for a show and I got the pattern from a book or magazine, yes I believe the designer should get the credit for the actual pattern. And, I guess IF I knew who the fabric designer was, I should also give them credit for their fabric design - But would I actually put all that info on a label on a quilt - NO!
And I do have EQ5 and I do take basic shapes and draw them out inside of another basic shape and if I come up with a block 'design / pattern' that someone else has also drawn, I don't believe I've broken copyright laws as the shapes are all basic, common shapes...
Off MY box...

Julierose said...

I can see it for a fabric designer or an art quilt--but really--"get a life" I say to those "owners"--blocks have been handed down through many generations and with names that have lasted or been changed or tweaked. I really don't care if anyone copies what I do--(not that they would I think) but rather would take it as the highest form of compliment that they would
like to make one, too as they liked it so much. I try to give credit to anyone whose piece I took and re-arranged or made it my own version. BUT I certainly do not expect credit for it. Just sayin', hugs, Julierose