Thursday, February 11, 2016

Some of this and some of that

Boy the month is going fast in my estimation. Stitching some here and there. Yesterday was a bust day. I got very little done. Didn't even sew at all. 

 Here is the size of the blocks that are finished. Need to cut some more solid fabrics to get this farther. The colors in the picture don't pop as much as they do in real life. To me it is more masculine with the dark gray and deep cranberry cornerstones.
This pile is some of that sewing. As I need to press I make a few more of these blocks. 2.5 inch squares sewn into 9-patches. This pile is now up to 86 finished 6.5 inch blocks. All very scrappy and will be used in the future. I can use three times this many for 3 quilts. So this will be an ongoing part of my sewing habits. A few here and there. 

Then the pile of small pieces from cutting or miss cut pieces were laying beside the machine. Can't throw them away so make them into made fabric. Or as some call crazy/crumb blocks. It is interesting the look of the blocks when they are squared up. I made three of them today and had two done from the other day. So the count now is 15 of them sewn. I need to get a few more done to make a quilt top. 

This is one of the crazy/crumb blocks I made today. The squaring up hasn't happened. You can make them as large as you like. There is no foundation behind this block. I just sew 1/4 inch seams and press. I think this batch will be sashed and the Baptist Fan will be sewn in each of the blocks. The final look of the quilt is unknown as of now. The look varies from one quilt to another. 

Today is cold and very cold again tonight. I keep thinking Spring will be here soon. We are really fortunate though. We have not had really cold temps and lots of snow, but we have had germs and the crud never goes away. So maybe a hard winter would have been better. 

Hope everyone has a good day. Chris  

1 comment:

sewyouquilt2 said...

you are right about the germs and crud. they need a good winter to clear them out. you have made great progress on this quilt. nice looking quilt