Sunday, May 22, 2016

Did lots more sewing

This is a little tutorial as to why I use the telephone book pages for my foundation.I stitch my strings to the foundation paper so I get pretty straight seams. I set the stitch to a small stitch for reinforcement and also to perforate the paper for easy removal.They look like this crazy shape when completed. They are stitched at an angle.

You don't have to pre-cut your strings, just make sure they are long enough to cover the paper. The telephone page ink does not rub off like newspaper ink does.

Trim them to the size of the paper. Remember I used 6 inch square papers. You can make them any size you like. If I make them smaller I use 1 inch strings or many sizes to cover the paper foundation.

This is what it looks like all squared up ready to have the paper taken off the back. I stack them up and sit and remove paper after I quit sewing for the day. I do it will watching TV. 

This is just another picture of using the triangle ruler to line up my paper and cut a straight edge. This ruler is easy for me to handle to get the right cut. Square up all four sides and you have a finished foundation pieced string block. 

Today we went outside and pressure washed the siding that wasn't changed this last winter when we did all the windows. Some had turn green and discolored. It is all clean now. It is 82 degrees outside and the sun is shining. 

I still have some dishes to clean up , but I couldn't run the water while the water was being used in the pressure washer. So that is still left to do. 

We are going to grill out for supper and try and enjoy the rest of the day. Chris 

1 comment:

Katie M. said...

I know a lot of people who use the phone books for foundation papers. I don't do much with strings but when I do, I use my dryer sheets (used). They are thin enough to leave attached without adding bulk. I love to paper piece but rarely do it simply because of having to tear that paper.... Guess that's my lazy side :-)