Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Little more

To begin with this is 2.5 inch squares sewn into 9-patches. You can do this as a leader and ender project. Or power stitching can happen. 

The tan is a strip cut 2.5 inches X 6.5 inches and 4- 2.5 inch squares. I use 2.5 inch printed squares to make the triangles or points for the stars. You need 8- 2.5 inch squares for the points. Sew diagonally and trim the back off. I stitched the bonus triangles for small HST's to use in a border on something else. They are about 10.5 inch when sewn together.

You can use 2 inch squares or 3 inch squares for your 9-patch, but then use the same width for the strips and squares for the corners. The  sky is the limit. After all the blocks are finished you can sew 4 into a larger square and sash with a darker color. Or sash each piece. I am not sure what I will do.

Scraps can be your best friend. I pulled out all the shirting fabrics and homespun and I found so much on my shelf that needed cutting. I could spend weeks cutting. I think I will try and cut at least a couple hours each week to get somethings finished up. I sewed about 5 hours Monday. I need to do that every day. I did 5 loads of laundry and cut up shirts, fixed meals and I still have many more hours to go before this is a manageable system.

I buy yards of solids and also small prints that look solid at a distance. I want the colors of the 9-patches to stand out. I am not a white-white person. Off white, tan, ecru, colors up to this color, it is brown paper bag color.

I still have three shirts to cut up for this round. In a couple weeks I will go and look for more. No rummage sales yet. The weather is to up and down.

I hope this gives some of you some ideas to use up your scraps. Chris

No comments: