Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Canning time

Today was canning time. I made refrigerator pickles first. Cucumbers green peppers and onions in a brine store in the fridge. Yesterday I went out and picked beans. It got to over 108*F heat index today and I knew it was going to be that way. So I got the picking done and it was 1 3/4 gallons of beans.


Here they are in the pint jars. cleaned and ready for their sauna. I pressure can them and I got 8 pints. I have to many allergies to processed food I can everything that I can get my hands on. Sometimes I think it is the cans the commercial caners use. They have a plastic lining in them so the metal doesn't leach into the food. I think the plastic is part of my allergy problems. The preservatives aren't good for you either and all the salt. If I buy canned tomatoes from the store and make something out of them I break out in hives. I have canned food for over 30 years and I prefer the taste. This little garden I have here is enough for me to have vegetables all winter.
We lived on a farm and I canned over 450-500 quarts of food every year. Never had to buy canned vegetables or fruits for years. If you haven't done it it is lots of work but the results are great. Chris

No comments: