Saturday, September 12, 2015

I am here

Up this morning. Should be sewing, but I am sitting here in the dark typing this post. The rest in the house are sleeping.

I have been reading several blogs for long periods of time. They each and everyone have their own methods of doing their brand of quilting. I have learned and also questioned many of their methods. I still in the back of my mind question some of the methods of construction  they use to get a quilt made.

The reason I am posting this is to question am I doing it right? I guess if it works for you then it is right. I come from a garment sewing background and not from the craft side of sewing. I see steps that maybe don't serve a purpose to me.

For example sewing strips together to later cut them apart to make 4 and 9 patches. I think a scrap quilt is in theory a scrap not a controlled elements. This is my warped mind working overtime.

Everyone has their own take on terms and how he work them into their own quilting. No one way is right or wrong. Doing it your way is perfect for you.

Are there any morthods you question in your journey of making a quilt? Chris

3 comments:

Katie M. said...

No matter what 'craft / hobby' I take on, I research the dickens out of it. With quilting, there are so many techniques to accomplish the same goal and I've probably tried most of them. I decide which one works best (and quickest) for me and use it. There are times I'm looking at a book or magazine and think "why did they write it like that?" because I see what I think is a simpler way to make the block - but, then, I wasn't the one writing the directions / pattern :-) I'm also a ruler junkie.... When I first started quilting, I bought a 'few' of the specialty rulers. Now that I have a bit more knowledge, I usually am able to figure out how to use what I have, and a lot of the times a simple square ruler will work if I can figure the right angle to use...

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Strip piecing and recutting for 4 patch and 9 patch is used mostly when you want several blocks alike, not necessarily for a scrap quilt. Scrap quilts are more spontaneous where blocks alike are a more planned quilt. You just have to love what you are doing, no matter what the method is.

sewyouquilt2 said...

yes some methods I like to make several blocks quickly and other methods I use when I want more precise points etc. it depends on what I am doing but I like to try all methods to see which ones I like. I am fond of Jenny from Missouri Star. she has quick methods to make difficult looking quilts and they are awesome.