Sunday, June 10, 2012

To hand or machine quilt that is the question.

For as long as I have sewn which is many years, hand work was an important part of the process. I learned to embroider when I was about 8 years old and still enjoy doing it. I have done tons of counted cross stitch and yet do not own any of it at all. I made and sold pillows until I was sick to death of counted cross stitch.

I have knitted and made several sweaters and knitted dish cloths and yet I have nothing of my own. Crochet and I don't see eye to eye.

I have done needlepoint and I never felt as comfortable with this process as I did the embroidery. Now there is a big looming question that has bugged me for a long time.

I do hand applique. Not as fond of the machine done work. I have done it, but I like the feel of the work in my hands when I am doing it. I love to hand quilt, but the time element is a big thing. I want to get so many more quilts done. My bucket list is overfull. I like the speed of the machine quilting and yet I still don't get it done. So what is a person to do?

I guess slow down and smell the coffee. I will never use all the fabric I have and get everything done in my life time. The Bucket List is unreal and yet the challenge is there. Do we make ourselves crazy with the ideas that flow through our heads? I sure do, but a person needs to dream and push themselves or we become complacent.

Do you see yourselves dreaming about a quilt when you are sitting in a chair and the World is going by? I figure if I dream while something is in my hands I feel more connected to my hand work.

I like the handwork aspect of quilting. I like the hand quilting, but do you hand applique or piece and machine quilt? Is this right? Do you machine piece and hand quilt? Is this right? For years I watched videos of beautiful hand appliquers and they hand quilted. I thought this was the right thing to do. Now so many of the hand appliquers are machine quilting and also hand quilting in the same quilt. What is up with that?

The other question is is 100% cotton fabrics and polyester thread. Should you use poly thread with all cotton fabrics? Well you use polyester battings so what is the difference?

Quilters are hand appliqueing wool over cotton fabrics. Then they use 100% cotton battings. Who is right who is wrong??????

I have read so many blogs and websites that recommend different things and yet there is not a right and wrong. Do what you think is right. Choose the right look for yourself and stick by your convictions.

Sometimes creative minds only work to make things easier or more appealing. Please feel at ease to use the materials you are comfortable with. Many times I have a certain type of fabric, batting or thread on hand and I use what I have.

So right now I am hand piecing and yet I think I will hand quilt, but who knows I am still dreaming while I am piecing. Dream and change your mind. Challenge yourself and make a new discovery of your potential. The sky is the limit. Chris

1 comment:

Katie M. said...

I really like this post. I love hand work - the look of it. I am way too impatient to do it, yet I'm relatively good at it. I have a dream to one day make a quilt using my grandma's treadle machine and then hand quilt it on a frame given to me by my neighbor (she passed on a year ago) I know that this project will take me months to accomplish, so I tend to 'put it off'....
Oh and I have to tell you, I have a baby quilt that was made for my older brother and used by all of us kids (3) that is in pretty bad shape. It's a Dresden Plate made in the early 1950's and has a combination of machine and hand work. It was tied and flannel was used as the batting. I know I will never find all the fabrics used in the quilt, but I hope to get as close as I can.....