Friday, October 23, 2015

My own version

I use my own version of Scrap Saver's System. It is a take off of Bonnie Hunter's method. I have the sizes I like to use and I try and cut as much out of a piece as I can in the variety of strips. I love scrap quilts and I prefer a wide variety of scraps be prepped to work with. Everyone has a preference on the size pieces that work for them. Also the colors that are pleasing to you. I like darks, jewels and brights. They all work for me in the style I like to sew.  

Someone asked, I think it was my Mother several years ago why I made 1.5 inch strips. Well many reasons. One is the hexies I like to make are made from 1.5 inch pieces. I like the 1/2 inch on a side hexies and they require a 1.5 X 1.5 inch square to make then come out right. Also when doing small 4-patches logs cut in the 1.5 inch strips make for small 4-patches real easy. 

I get bored with 2 or 3 fabric quilts. I know many of you like a structured quilt with symmetrical appearance. I like the business of a scrap quilt with a hint of structure with sashing or borders. If we all liked the same thing it would be boring. Not to say others quilts are really pleasing to the eye they are, but this is the style I like to make. I know several of you like the scrap quilt look also. 

Going to go in and try out my new chair in a little bit to get the rest of the rows sewn together on my crazy/crumb blocks top. I would like to get that top complete and ready to move onto getting something else done to that point. I have so many more ready to be tops and want to get them stacked together to get a feel for how much batting I need to order. Thinking about rolls instead of individual bags. 

All in good time right?


Chris 

No comments: